The programme aims to:
- Develop better understanding of basic concepts of statistics
- Provide overview of computer assisted data analysis
- Develop requisite skills to write functions and scripts in R
- Enhance knowledge and develop skill for performing appropriate analyses
- Augment knowledge for interpretation and presentation of analyses, using the wide variety of graphics and data visualization options available in R
After the completion of the training programme, the participants would be able to:
- List and describe issues to be considered before analysis of data
- List various analyses that can be performed based on nature of data
- Select appropriate analyses that can be performed based on nature of data
- Input, import and modify data using R
- Perform basic and advanced analysis on a given data set by writing codes in R language
- Present analysis in simple and intelligible manner for informed decision making
Why this training?
When most people think of data analysis, they think of complex mathematical formulae. The advent of computer software programmes has however meant that people do not have to know or learn mathematical formulae to be able to perform quantitative statistical analyses. R – an open source project is one such software used to analyze data. R is a flexible statistical analysis tool kit that offers free access to powerful and cutting edge statistical analysis routines that can analyze small to very large data sets. Today R is among the most widely used programs for statistical analysis, with an ever evolving, expanding and vibrant community of users. It is used by market researchers, health researchers, survey organizations, and governments.
The three-day training programme on Basic and Advanced Data Analysis using R is part of Sambodhi's endeavour to enhance understanding of research in general and data analysis in particular among practitioners and scholars.
Sambodhi Research & Communications helps create high-impact knowledge to catalyse accountability in public domain. We offer project management, monitoring & evaluation and research solutions to implementers, federal and state governments, bilateral and multilateral aid agencies and corporate philanthropic foundations. Over the past decade, we have pioneered cutting-edge methodologies for evaluation of large-scale interventions across sectors and themes including public health, nutrition, sanitation, natural resources, renewable energy, livelihoods and microfinance.
Sambodhi also works towards enhancing appreciation of evidence-based functioning among development organisations and practitioners. As part of our field-building effort, we co-founded the Community of Evaluators-South Asia (CoE-SA); are home to the South Asian Journal for Evaluation in Practice (SAJEP) – first-of-its-kind peer reviewed journal on evaluation from this region; and have trained more than 5,000 professionals on M&E and related areas.
- Day 1
- Basics of Data & Data Analysis
- Overview of Softwares for Data Analysis
- Introduction to R: Data types & Packages .
- Importing & Editing Data in R .
- Writing your first R function.
- Day 2
- Descriptive Statistics using R
- Summary Statistics
- Tabulation of Data.
- Exercise: Descriptive Statistics
- Creating Graphs and Charts using R.
- Exercise: Graphs and Charts in R .
- Day 3
- Introduction to Inferential Statistics
- Bivariate Analysis: Correlation
- Bivariate Analysis: Regression
- Test of Difference: T-test .
- Test of Association: Chi-Square test .
- Presentation of Analysis.
In consonance with the programme design, the overarching methodology for delivery of training is based on the principles of participatory adult learning that would build upon the experiential learning of participants. The programme pedagogy focuses on interactive group learning and aims both at knowledge development and skill upgradation through interactive and peer learning. Reading and resource material developed by leading subject experts augments the classroom experience. Training being a mutual learning process, the programme is built on the premise - I hear, I forget; I see, I remember; I do, I understand.
Indian Participants: INR 15,000 per participant
Foreign Participants: USD 600 per participant
(The fee covers tuition, reading and resource kit, certification, lunch and refreshments during the program. Participants need to make arrangements for travel and accommodation.)
- Early Bird Discounts
- Registrations done 30 days prior to commencement of the programme get a discount of 20%
- Registrations done 20 days prior to commencement of the programme get a discount of 10%
- Group Discounts
- 5 or more participants 20% discount
- 3 or more participants 10% discount
- Other Discounts
- Individuals working with Not-for-profit organizations get an additional discount of 10%
- Organizations & individuals who have participated in any of our past trainings get an additional discount of 10%
Note: As applicable, 2 or more discounts can be clubbed together.
Fee can be paid by Cheque /Demand Draft in favour of “Sambodhi Research and Communications Pvt. Ltd.” payable at par at New Delhi.